Friday, June 19, 2009

Thing #6 - "Lost in Space"

This assignment should come with the warning that you can end up in a time warp! It was educational to read the blogs of others, and scan to see if their thoughts were traveling in the same or opposite direction of where I wanted to go. I am not opposed to the idea that there is safety in numbers.

As I wandered in space I came across some blogs that led me down the "primrose path", but there were enough 'nuggets of wisdom" that kept coming my way that I wandered far too long. One was Just One More Book, which my husband will testify that as soon as I finish one I have another one started. That led me to one of our Bluebonnet Book nominees for next year, The Graveyard Book. It allows the viewer to see the artistic illustrations that are in the beginning of the book. This was just one of the books that was featured. I have a tendency to read those books that are for fifth grade and up because I taught sixth grade for years. Now I need to widen my knowledge of those great books that can be found in the younger literature and this seems like a great place to begin. The links of reviews and author interviews would take up many more hours than I had time to spend.

Reading Upside Down (you are probably catching on to one of my favorite past times) was a blog that caught my eye because of the graphics that were included. Our school is increasing its service to bilingual classes through the third grade, and I need to have a better grasp of what I can do to improve the choices our students have. This blog led me to another one called Book, Line and Sinker. This teacher had decided to read a book in Spanish (she'd had Spanish from the sixth grade through her second year of college), and she found she was going to also going to need a copy in English to be sure she was reading correctly. Reading blogs is a continuing education all in itself!

2 comments:

  1. I find that most of my professional reading is done from Google Reader these days! Sounds like you are discovering this wealth of information too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since we sift what we want to read I really do enjoy seeing what is new in those areas I have an interest in.

    ReplyDelete