Sunday, July 5, 2009

Thing #7B

In Thing #21 I signed up for alerts on earthquakes and volcanoes (that was yesterday) and when I went to read my RSS feeds I found 60 listings for the earthquake alerts. While wandering through there I stumbled upon a YouTube video that was actually an earthquake forecast/prediction (?). I didn't know that the science had evolved that far and does demonstrate that anyone can post to the www. Who knows what will happen after the quakes in the Gulf of California and Panama? While checking out one article (which happened to be on a soccer team named the Earthquakes) I did run into some pictures in an ad that probably shouldn't have been shown on Sunday or any other day of the week. One way to get around that is to provide a link to the articles you want students to review and/or study.

In a science blog David Ferguson spoke of monitoring gas emissions as a possible way to detect the formation of new volcanoes or magma getting nearer the surface of Earth. In so doing he decided to go to Africa and be there to see what would happen. What a neat resource to have when introducing a unit of earth science dealing with volcanoes and/or earthquakes! A very interesting article on tsunamis and their history was among the 28 articles I found on the reader about volcanoes.

Sometime last week I mentioned podcasts from Just One More Book, but I want to mention an article from Cool Cat Teacher that dealt with picture taking policies for school handbooks. That is definitely something that we should all be aware of. This could go on and on, but you can see these tools can solve many problems for the 21st Century learner.

No comments:

Post a Comment