Saturday, July 4, 2009

Thing # 21

It was a good thing that this came with a warning about using a timer. Maybe it needs to be in neon lights if the next class has any abstract random participants! While I did visit all the sites and played around I found that Google Notebook is no longer accepting new participants. One of my professors from the Spring semester mentioned that Google was always updating and that some of their applications would still function for previous members but would not accept new members for that particular application.

Since so much of our work has been in and around Google I switched from 30 Boxes in an earlier thing and went with Google Calendar. I noticed when I entered a destination for a trip I'm making on Thursday that it automatically brought up a map of my destination. That sure does make Disney's song It's a Small World After All just that much more true. The calendar certainly will make it easier to keep track of items to be done, and it is extremely easy to add items or edit. If this will improve my own organizational skills, then that will be even better for the students using our library.

The other Google application that I stuck with was iGoogle. For now I have an Audubon Society backyard bird theme, but that could change at any given time. I'm afraid that I may have to hide some of the gadgets, but I really became infatuated with the turtles. They look just like the baby one we added to the library in May. The students would head to check on him and the Monarch butterfly nursery we had at that particular time.

Having access to the different gadgets offered by Google can be great for writing up the news for the daily morning show and announcements. I can even see it being used by teachers when it comes to current events. Because I am fascinated by earth science, particularly earthquakes and volcanoes, those were two alerts that I signed up for. The different news sources that can be tapped could be used with many different subjects and age levels.

2 comments:

  1. I love my igoogle page but I have so many gadgets that I have to scroll down and down to see them all.

    Isn't it amazing how many earthquakes occur on a daily basis!? I love how you can monitor that on the web now.

    If you are interested in geology, you can follow my summer geology trip at this site.

    http://web.me.com/krgamache/G-Camp_2009_For_Teachers/Blog/Blog.html

    Couldn't figure out how to make a hyperlink in the comment section so had to do it the old fashioned way. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A geological trip? Wow! When and where? Come back with some fantastic stories to share.

    ReplyDelete