Monday, July 6, 2009

Thing # 22

Now that is an experience for someone that is an immigrant to technology! I'm sure that I've only touched the very tip of the iceberg while starting this. It will be quite interesting to see how this develops.

Since our students, for the greater majority, seem quite comfortable with these social networks it behooves the rest of us to at least have some semblance of knowledge on what goes on there. Because many of the people I work with use Facebook that is the tool I decided to use. While setting up the list of who I wanted to invite to be friends I found one of my favorite students from last year who is moving on to middle school. Since she is an avid reader I am interested in seeing how she evolves as a successful citizen within our community.

It was quite intriguing to see how linking with one person connected you with others that over the years had drifted away to other schools, other districts, or away from education. It was interesting to see the responses after being away from the page just a short time. Before I join a group I want to know a bit more. I wandered through some sites that had to do with libraries. To really get a feel for them I need time to spend studying what each one has to offer. Goodness knows I have trouble enough keeping up with what I'm supposed to be doing.

In a world that seems to pull people in all directions this tool seems to be a way to stay in touch without calling for tons of time. Then when you see a need or crisis arise in your friend's world it would seem to offer an opportunity to respond without being intrusive on the demands of their time and energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment